Saturday, November 6, 2010

Work and philosophy

I have not been on here a lot lately, i.e. in the last 2 weeks.  I have been working my butt off with my new business.  The fact of the matter is that spending doing philosophy is a leisure activity.  It IS the MOST integral leisure activity for the well being of our existence; however, it is still leisure, a luxury.  The ancient Greeks birthed philosophy out of slavery of course.  The first philosophers were rich men who could afford to not work in the fields while their slaves did all the work.  Not all of them I suppose, although I must admit I do not know a great deal about the life of Heraclitus, Pythagorus, or Anaximander.  Does anyone though?

Anyway, the point is that there is somewhat of a dichotomy between work (and ultimately pursuit of survival) and philosophy.  If one is busy in the fields all day (lol I know no one really does that these days ...) then he or she has little time and likely energy to contemplate the deep questions of life.  Yes that is a generalization, and philosophy does not even have question in a prescribed way.  Philosophy is the love/pursuit/friendship of wisdom afterall. 

Anyway, I plan to post here with somewhat more diligence over the next few weeks (at least)!  LOL.

We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment